Disassemble and Reassemble
Before or during the disassembly of your alternator you must locate and describe the function of the following components.
It is necessary to understand the location and function of these components to diagnose common charging problems.
1) What and where are the brushes?
2) What and where are the support bushings?
3) Locate and describe the rotor
4) What is the function of the slip rings?
5) Is your alternator internally or externally regulated?
6) Test the stator for open circuits.
7) Test the rotor for open circuits.
8) What and where is the stator?
9) Test a working alternator for voltage with the engine running.
10) If your alternator is externally regulated, how do you bypass the voltage regulator ?
Answer these questions and become familiar with your alternator. While your alternator is STILL DISASSEMBLED I will ask you some questions related to the 10 items above.
In your write up you must identify and describe the components and functions of the above.